- Would you rather eat 2 pounds of Christmas sugar cookies or drink two pounds of eggnog?
- What is the best white elephant gift you have given or received?
- What are things you have done to not lose the real message of Christmas among all the American culture surrounding Christmas?
Application: Peace on earth is destroyed by sin
- Read 2 Timothy 1:8-9 and Romans 11:33-36. How would you describe our cultures overall outlook on the world being good? (meaning the people in it and our ability to trust them)
- What does peace on earth look like? What would have to happen for a person to say, “this is a peaceful place?”
- After discussing this, how do the words, “peace on earth, good will to men,” come across to you?
- What is the peace of God? How are we as Christians able to sing that line given the world in which we live?
- In his sermon Roger said, “The root issue is not how to make frustrated humanity happy, but how to satisfy a righteous, just, and offended God.” How would you describe this to someone who is struggling to believe in God because of the sin that is currently in the world?
Application: Peace with God is beyond our capability and peace from God is beyond our understanding.
- Read Romans 5:1-2. Why do you think peace with God through works is attractive to so many?
- In what ways does the concept of having peace with God through works still seep into your personal relationship with him? How have you caught yourself thinking this way?
- What truths have you meditated on to break out of believing that lie?
- How would you describe the difference in the way a person rejoices, who relies on good works for peace with God, versus one who rejoices in peace through faith in Christ’s good work?
- Read Philippians 4:4-7. Why is it called peace beyond understanding? How does this enable us to celebrate?
12/15 Isaiah 9:6-7
12/16 Romans 5:1-2
12/17 2 Timothy 1:8-9
12/18 Romans 11:33-36
12/19 John 14:27
12/20 Philippians 4:4-7
12/21 Isaiah 9:6-7, Isaiah 5:1-2