Summer is a great time for adventure. We have fun in the sun, enjoy long daylight evenings, and soak in various experiences. But as fun as it often is, summer can also be a time of disconnection for our kids. They no longer see their school or co-op friends regularly, and their weekly schedules and predictability are changed. With the summer season comes the need for kids to connect. And let’s face it; we parents could use some connection too.
The Church is a fantastic place for kids and families to connect.
Recent years have made finding and maintaining a meaningful community significantly more challenging. Perhaps you have your family, neighbors, coworkers, and a few close friends, but have you ever considered the local church? In fact, one of the best places for connection to happen is within the context of a church family. Yes, that's right. The Church often is like a family in how they connect, love, and care for one another.
If you've ever been to Berean, you know that we take connection seriously. We strive to promote connection for our kids and families, from the programming and activities we plan to the caring leaders, small groups, and safe spaces we provide.
Recently, we sent out a survey to Berean Kids parents. We asked them what they thought their kids needed most from church and in what areas we could best support them. One shared value amongst our families was the desire for their kids to have friends at church. We couldn’t agree more!
Did you know that having friends at church encourages kids in their faith?
In Berean Kids, one resource we have studied is a recent book titled Flip the Script. In this book, the authors emphasize the need for kids to have a community within the Church. FLIP is an acronym, and the letter "F" stands for "Friends." Here are some excerpts from the book:
- “One of the best things we can do to encourage belonging is to help kids and students develop lasting friendships with their peers. Every kid needs to find friends at church. Friendships connect us in belonging.”
- “Children and students who had a best friend who influenced them to follow Christ while growing up had a higher score of spiritual maturity as adults.”
- “Kids and students who have a friend, or multiple friends, at church are more likely to attend with greater frequency and regularity than those who do not.”
And for those wondering what the other three letters of the acronym are, I’ll fill in the blanks:
- F: Kids need Friends (a culture that fosters friendships and belonging).
- L: Kids need Leaders (Berean Kids leaders who care about and invest in them).
- I: Kids need Influencers (a broader faith community to model and live out faith).
- P: Kids need Pastors (to see the pastors as not just a persona but as their pastor).
Kids need to have a sense of belonging in many areas of their lives. How much more does that bear weight in the Church? Once relationships are formed and nurtured, the avenue for spiritual questions and conversations becomes much more open, allowing kids to strengthen their faith. This is true with relationships between kids and adults and among kids in friendships.
Families, we have some excellent opportunities for you to connect this summer!
We have scheduled three Family Hangout Nights this summer that will take place in the Berean Gym. In addition, we will host weekly Park Meetups for kids and families. All events are informal and casual, intended to foster community among families. We hope all those who attend will nurture existing relationships, form new friendships, and enjoy being a church family while experiencing the beauty of connecting and belonging.
If you've never been to Berean, you are welcome, too! We'd love to meet you and help you find your community.
For all the Family Summer Fun events details, click the button below.
Looking for a church home?
- Classic Worship Services | 8:15 & 10 AM | Sanctuary (These services feature worship accompanied by a choir.)
- Modern Worship Services | 9 & 11 AM | Worship Center (These services feature worship accompanied by a keyboard, guitars, and drums.)
All services have the same message that is relevant and applicable to your life today.
You can also register for a First Connection event to learn how to get involved. It's an opportunity for you to get to know Berean and for us to get to know you, too. We hope you'll join us soon!