Take about 45 minutes during your missional community gathering to discuss what God is teaching you and how he is leading you in light of the weekend sermon.
- Share a high and a low from this past week.
- What is something in your personal devotion time that God has been teaching you?
- What are some ways in which you have experienced communion in the past?
- Was there ever a specific instance you remember it being meaningful to you?
Application: Jesus was the perfect Passover lamb
- Read Exodus 12:3-11 What is the history behind the Passover lamb?
- Why would Israel specifically need to have a sacrificial lamb? What would happen if they didn’t?
- Read Matthew 26:17-29 Does it surprise you, other than that he was God, that Jesus knew he would be betrayed and abandoned and yet didn’t take a different course of action?
- What, in Jesus’ words, indicate that he is the new Passover lamb? What significance does this have in needing more Passover lambs in the future?
- What comfort, regarding our sins and position before God, comes from knowing there are no more Passover lambs to come?
Application: The Passover reminds us of Jesus’ victory and future.
- In his sermon, Tony said, “living sacrifices have a tendency to crawl off the altar, while Jesus willingly gave his life.” Knowing what Jesus was about to accomplish, what’s your reaction to his willingness to be betrayed?
- Why is it significant that we are remembering what Jesus has already accomplished through the taking of the bread and cup as symbolism vs retaking them as Christ's actual body as in some faith traditions?
- Read Revelation 19:6-9. How do we know that the Passover meal/ communion is to bring to remembrance the future wedding banquet? Hint. Reread Matthew 26:17-29.
- Does remembering this through communion differ from the way you have experienced communion in the past? How so?