- Real or Fake Christmas tree? Which one do you choose and why?
- What is one thing you have always wanted to give someone for Christmas, but never had the chance or where never able to?
- What are some of your favorite Christmas songs? Are any of the songs in the recent sermon series on that list? (O Come O Come Emmanuel, The Thrill of Hope, Peace on Earth, We Have Seen His Glory).
Application: Glory is the perfect revelation of grace and truth
- Read Psalm 19:1-4, Romans 1:20 and Isiah 6:3. What are some places you have been or things you have seen that caused you to pause and marvel at God’s glory?
- During times when you sat and marveled and pondered God’s glory, what were some other truths about God that began to penetrate your heart? (ex: God has been here since the beginning of time and knew when I would be born. God had designed every blade of grass and He has designed every cell in my body.)
- What are some of the things in our culture today that prevent us and others from actively reflecting on the natural world and seeing God in it?
- Read Colossians 1:16-17. How does this truth impact the way we relate to unbelievers, especially when they are living in destructive sin patterns?
Application: There is a peace when the SOVEREIGN, omniscient LORD is over your life
- Read John 1:9-14. What are some of the doubts unbelievers in our culture today have about the existence of God? What are some generalities surrounding the involvement of God and the character of God? Hint: Roger mentioned some of these at the beginning of the sermon.
- What are ways certain church movements or denominations try to bring about the presence of God? Why do you think that they do this?
- Read 1 John 1:1-3. How does the birth of Christ Jesus answer the challenges in questions one and two above?
- It’s easy to focus our attention on Jesus enabling the forgiving of our sins and restoring our relationship with God. In 1 John 1:3, however, it also mentions restoring fellowship with believers. Why is this significant and how does it form the expectations you should have for your missional community?
12/22 John 1:9-14
12/23 1 John 1:1-3
12/24 Psalm 19:1-4
12/25 Colossians 1:16-17
12/26 Romans 1:1-23
12/27 Luke 2:9
12/28 Ephesians 1:12